Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Banana Cake



So, I tried a new cake recipe this week for a special dinner the night before my grandfather left - he is 89 and was here visiting from Santa Rosa, California. I've always loved banana cake and I thought I'd try a recipe I found in the Kraft Kitchens magazine awhile back. Well, it turned out fabulous, I must say. It got rave reviews from everyone, and my husband Tony said multiple times, "this is the best cake I've ever eaten in my life" - wow, the ultimate compliment! It was pretty easy as well. The sour cream makes it super moist.

Banana Sour Cream Cake - recipe from Kraft Kitchens Magazine
1 pkg (2 layer size) yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup oil
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
4 oz powdered sugar (It originally called for 16 oz, I used less for a more cream cheese flavor)
1 cup walnuts or pecans finely chopped

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cake mix, eggs, bananas, sour cream and oil with mixer on low until moistened, scraping bottom of bowl often. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
2. Pour into greased and floured 13x9 inch pan. Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
3. Beat cream cheese and butter with mixer on medium until blended. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition.
4. Remove cake from pan. Carefully cut cake crosswise in half using serrated knife.
5. Place 1 cake half, top-side down, on plate; spread top with frosting. Top with remaining cake half, top-side up. Frost top and sides.
6. Press nuts onto sides. Sprinkle top with additional chopped nuts if desired.

I'm off to finish the last piece of leftover cake now!

No comments: